Sunday, July 11, 2010

Charity, Altruism and the Siren-Song of False Ecumenism

How It Was
Czeslaw Milosz

Stalking a deer I wandered deep into the mountains and from there
I saw.

Or perhaps it was for some other reason that I rose above the setting
sun.

Above the hills of blackwood and a slab of ocean and the steps of a
glacier, carmine-colored in the dusk.

I saw absence; the mighty power of counter-fulfillment; the penalty of a
promise lost for ever.

If, in tepees of plywood, tire shreds and grimy sheet iron, ancient inhabit-
ants of this land shook their rattles, it was all in vain.

No eagle-creator circled in the air from which the thunderbolt of its
glory had been cast out.

Protective spirits hid themselves in subterranean beds of bubbling ore,
jolting the surface from time to time so that the fabric of freeways was
bursting asunder.

God the Father didn't walk about any longer tending the new shoots of
a cedar, no longer did man hear his rushing spirit.

His son did not know his sonship and turned his eyes away when passing
by a neon cross flat as a movie screen showing a striptease.

This time it was really the end of the Old and New Testament.

No one implored, everyone picked up a nodule of agate or diorite to
whisper in loneliness: I cannot live any longer.

Bearded messengers in bead necklaces founded clandestine communes
in imperial cities and in ports overseas.

But none of them announced the birth of a child-savior.

Soldiers from expeditions sent to punish nations would go disguised
and masked to take part in forbidden rites, not looking for any hope.

They inhaled smoke soothing all memory and, rocking from side to side,
shared with each other a word of nameless union.

Carved in black wood the Wheel of Eternal Return stood before the
tents of wandering monastic orders.

And those who longed for the Kingdom took refuge like me in the
mountains to become the last heirs of a dishonored myth.

* * *


Milosz’s last stanza is haunting to me, yet I think it aptly captures what the fate of the Church in the world must be: we are the heirs of a dishonored myth. And this is not merely a historical statement, as in “we have become the last heirs of a dishonored myth.” The truth is that we have always been the heirs of a dishonored myth. For broad is the path that leads to destruction, and many take it, but narrow is the path that leads to life, and few find it. On earth we have no abiding city, for we are looking forward to the city which is to come.

I suppose this post falls in the category of “talking ‘til I’m blue in the face” about a minor doctrinal issue, while the real, important issue -- namely, good works -- falls by the wayside. If only Athanasius would have realized that the Deity of Christ was a minor doctrinal issue and encouraged the Christians to join hands with the Arians at a local soup kitchen. Who cares if the Arians were heretics? They were sincere in what they believed -- “people of good will,” if I may be so bold as to say. What prevents Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists of good will from joining the party? Apparently the Church’s original confession of Christ as Lord is negligible compared to one’s works. In fact, a charitable Muslim is probably more of a disciple of Christ than a crabby Christian. The Buddhists are an irenic sort; they might even chant “Christ is Lord” right along with us. As long as this is left sufficiently vague, adequately devoid of confessional content, it shouldn’t be a problem. Just rally round a diluted confession that everyone can agree on, and then pat yourself on the back for expressing the visible unity of the “Church.” Don’t pay attention to the minor doctrinal disputes such as the nature of the Holy Eucharist -- you know, the Medicine of Immortality? Don’t concern yourself with such piddling details as whether or not it really is the flesh and blood of the Second Person of the Trinity. As long as we agree that “it’s important,” we can move on. And synergism! A mere trifle, really.

While the above is obviously a satire of the position put forth by Byrthnoth in “Genotype and Phenotype,” it is intended to make a serious point. For those of you offended by satire, sarcasm, et alia, my apologies. It’s a legitimate polemical technique.

I don’t know what the “charitable scene is,” but I am pretty sure that whatever goes on there (and, to quote Gertrude Stein, I’m not sure that there is a “there” there on this one) is not going to make a hill of beans worth of difference in the imaginary Index of Christian Unity. The first, most obvious problem with speaking of a “charitable scene” is the partitioning off of good works from the ordinary world of men’s vocations. Are you a dentist? Do your job well, and gladly serve your neighbor through your vocation. Your work is a divine ministry. You need not put down your fluoride trays and tools and go to South America. You may. But it doesn’t matter if you choose to serve your neighbor in your dental office, cleaning his children’s teeth and advising him and his family on oral hygiene. In fact, it may be better if you don’t go on a missionary trip. There is a strong likelihood that that is the case, in fact. But this is all hypothetical. For a far better treatment of this issue than I am giving, or ever could give, see Lewis’s essay “Good Work and Good Works,” in The World’s Last Night.

“Oddly, churches that have disagreed on whether or not to condone abortion or even the uniqueness of Christ have been able to agree that ‘all people of good will’ ought join hands in acts of Charity.”

Is this sarcasm? I don’t find this odd at all. I’ll go ahead and say it -- if you condone abortion or believe that Christ is not true God and true Man, you’re not a Christian. The Christian is not free to call God a liar, and to do either of those things is to do precisely that. It is no surprise that all people of good will” join hands in acts of “charity.” However, they aren’t acts of charity if it’s just “all people of good will” doing them. The supposedly good works of the “pagan of good will” are damnable, execrable sins -- “filthy rags,” St. Paul calls them in his Epistle to the Romans. Yes, good may come of them -- God uses all things and works them all together for good -- but the works themselves are the opposite of virtuous. Do not call it charity; call it altruism -- which the nineteenth century positivist philosopher Auguste Comte defined as “brotherhood without a father.” This was not an epithet; Comte thought this a good thing. In any case, it couldn’t be farther away from “Christendom.”

“We’re more popular than Jesus,” John Lennon famously said in 1966. He was, of course, entirely correct. Yes, the man who wrote “Come Together” smugly acknowledged that he and his fellows were the purveyors of a new, wildly popular social gospel. Come together, right now, over me. Look at me. Rally around me. Humanity. The People. Shiny happy people holding hands. Come together: it’s an altruistic mantra.

Really? Is this what we’re called to?

“[W]e should take note that the only time denominations come together in one place and join together to act like one church may currently be the charitable scene, and this, perhaps, may be a better starting place for a visibly united Christendom than political states forming war and peace agreements.”

I would submit that the opposite is true: when “denominations come together in one place and join together to act like one church,” there is no other time when they are less the Church. Such falsely ecumenical posturing is not only vain, it is dangerous. It enlists the faithful in the construction of more and more Towers of Babel. More shameless question-begging follows with the assumption that anyone is seeking a “better starting place” for bringing about a “visibly united Christendom.” This is an incredibly vain proposition.

You want a visibly united Christendom? Go to Church and take the Eucharist. In the same way that each communicant receives the whole Body of Christ in the host, so also the whole Body of Christ gathers to partake of the Sacrament. The whole Church is mysteriously present wherever and whenever the Word is truly preached and the Sacraments are rightly administered. It is indeed truly ironic that Byrthnoth mentioned the Eucharist as something which amounts to an impediment to “a visibly united Christendom” -- it is actually the beating heart of anything even approximating “a visibly united Christendom.”

Now, I can imagine that a Pentecostal, a Methodist or any other Protestant who does not confess the apostolic doctrine concerning the Eucharist would resonate with Byrthnoth’s position, as it basically assumes that “what happens...concerning both the elements and the recipient” is really not of paramount importance (if my position has not been evident thus far, it is that “what happens...concerning both the elements and the recipient” is of paramount importance). I don’t think it would resonate with many Lutherans, Roman Catholics, or Eastern Orthodox.

I mainly just wanted to share the Milosz poem. I’d welcome any thoughts in response to what I’ve said.

6 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful poem. Milosz is fantastic, though every time I come across him I think of the following quote from Nicholson Baker's delightful novel/love story about poetry 'the Anthologist':

    "They all handed their week's work in, and I lifted the pile of fresh poems in the air to feel its weight. It was unusually heavy, because one of the poems was twenty pages long. I knew who it was by. It was called 'Pythagoras Unbound,' and it was by an overeager boy who talked a lot about Czeslaw Milosz. I skimmed the first page and I saw the word 'endoplasm' and I went cold, like I'd eaten a huge plate of calimari."

    So good.

    Per your comments, I pretty much agree, though I'm not entirely sure abortion is a dogmatic issue. It's highly critical, but I don't think it's dogma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post sounds extremely reactionary. There is an importance in acting together in the places where we can act together. I'm a little offended that you made me out so as to say that doctrinal disagreements were unimportant, and, quite frankly, I'm a little embarrassed that you would scoff at starting a soup kitchen with others of good will, whatever faith they be, and for others regardless of their faith. Christ died for you and I before we were Christians, while we were yet sinners, maybe you can give someone a cup of soup even if they don't go to your church, and maybe you can even have a Methodist or a Catholic help you out.

    I did not say to get over it and all go to a tree stump where we have communion with Rice-wafers before turning cool-aid into blood, and even if I did, that would not detract from the fact that Christian denominations should look for places where they do agree and act together when they can. As far as I can tell, the Pope and I will not be in full communion any time soon, but theres nothing wrong in being ecumenical where we can.

    Get out of the tower, go see some people that need help. Take a Baptist with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark: I've been reading through Milosz's "Bells in Winter," and it's one of the most moving collections I've come across since Heaney's "District and Circle" (also highly worth it, if you haven't encountered it yet).

    On abortion...maybe you're right, but it seems risky to gamble. This is a matter on which one Christian is called to judge another, to hold the erring brother to account -- to take the speck out of their own eye so that he may see clearly to remove the beam from his brother's eye. We are not called to condemn, but we are called to judge. Christ and the Apostle give us the theory; practice is more difficult, especially in our morally convoluted, anti-authoritarian age. "Expel the immoral brother," Paul says. Does this include those who simply condone abortion, but do not practice it? I don't know. What counts as a sin of the intellect, and how far does it extend? I certainly support pastors who deny the Sacrament to those whose stance is openly contrary to God's Law, viz. that debacle with Kerry and his priest in the 2004 campaign season. I salute such acts as rare instances in which a pastor of the church rightly wields the authority of his office! I don't know, Mark; when God says "Thou shalt not murder," we are not free to demur. To call evil good, or even indifferent, is to live in sin. Would you disagree? With that said, I shudder, and must ask myself, am I living in sin? It's complicated. I, for one, am not sure how one navigates that arena between "dogmatic" and "highly-critical." Thoughts? And don't worry, the comment-feed is for tangents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Byrthnoth: Yes, it was intentionally reactionary. I gave reasons for my objections to the things you said; you have not...answered them? And I'm sorry that it offends you that I wouldn't start a soup kitchen with good-willed Arians, but you're right -- I absolutely would not. Quite apart from the fact that I probably wouldn't start a soup kitchen, ever, I would probably start a Lutheran one if I ever did. Because I would eventually want them to hear the Gospel, and I think the Lutherans have an edge there? This is hardly shocking. There are Catholic soup kitchens out there, and who knows? maybe Lutheran ones already. That makes an eminent amount of sense to me. Possible objection: "What if the Lutheran church didn't have enough funding or parishioners to staff their kitchen? Shouldn't they join up with the Methodists and the Baha'i?" Well, they're free in this instance to do one of a few things: a) minister in other ways, through other means (sounds good to me); b) help out at the soup kitchen and quibble with the (quite possibly asinine) gospel presentation that may or may not follow the soup; c) bless the participation of individual parishioners, but refrain from participating as a church (see comment above re: gospel presentation). But the key in ALL of this, Byrthnoth, is that the church is FREE to do or not do any of these things. Do not dare to saddle the Church with an obligation which the Law does not impose upon Her.

    "There is an importance in acting together in the places where we can act together." Why? What sort of importance? And in what sort of places can we act together? Aren't you just rephrasing the question we're both trying to answer? I mean, I think I agree with you, I just don't agree with your criteria for the "places where we can act together," or the relative importance of the acts in question. "Being one" is pretty dubious when the "we" is so unspecified. Hence the paucity of civil religion. Hate to bring that up, but it's true.

    "Christian denominations should look for places where they do agree and act together when they can." Should? No, not necessarily. Again, it depends on the places; it may not matter at all. You keep bringing up this notion of mission, of a sort of obligation to engage in a strange sort of ecumenical posturing which the Great Commission does not know. And I never scoffed at the idea of giving a cup of soup to people of other faiths/no faith. I'm embarrassed even to have to bring this up, but if you'll review my post, you'll see that I never even spoke to the matter at all; you're putting words in my mouth. So now it's your turn to be embarrassed. Stop it. Also, cut the saccharine arguments. Your comment is positively dripping with pathos.

    Byrthnoth, I prefer my tower to your cloud. There are lots of people up here, not just me. And not just Lutherans. What people in this tower share is consistency of argument, an ability to reason both abstractly and concretely and a healthy aversion to ecumenical pietism. There might be some Baptists up here -- in fact, I can think of a few right off the bat. In any case, please address yourself to the substance of my arguments. This could be a good conversation if you would let it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I, for one, am not sure how one navigates that arena between 'dogmatic' and 'highly-critical.' Thoughts?"

    I tend to think the authors of the Nicene and Apostle's Creeds did a pretty good job of doing just that. Trinity, death and resurrection. Those to me seem to be dogma. Though, as NT Wright suggests, you can even boil those two points down to the Lordship of Christ rightly understood. "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

    Pretty much everything else lies outside dogma, including those things for which Paul in 1 Corinthians 5 says we ought to expel the wicked man from among us.

    ---

    I think I lie between Beer-thin-oth and π on the issues in question. The reason why I initially aligned more with π (that's Suedeπgraph, for the record) is because the "lets get together" issue is absolutely THE burning question in the Anglican Communion. It's Anglican unity versus orthodoxy, basically, and in the end I side with the latter... though I will still attend an orthodox Episcopal parish wherever such churches persist.

    But this whole refusal to play nice is one of the reasons why Lutherans (sometimes) drive me up the wall.

    Why is it important to act together? Because I, for one, believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and though the body will not be fully revealed by our efforts we are nevertheless bound to one another. It's like the kingdom of heaven, never attained but always built for.

    π, is there any value in helping a human being if it is not accompanied by a presentation of the gospel? Does Christ get any glory from the feeding of hungry people, even if those people get nothing more than a smile from a Peace Corps member taking a couple years off from UC Berkeley?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since the comment feed is for tangents, I'll bite.

    In order of appearance:

    "If you believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord, and confess with your mouth that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

    Yes, but "if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us," and "if we say we have not sinned," when, in fact, we have, "we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." Then we go to hell. Even if we're chanting the Nicene creed on the way down. Because to call God a liar is to deny the Lordship of Christ. This is immensely complex, of course, in real life: how does one repent of an intellectual sin? Is it only an intellectual sin to condone abortion (which is murder, Mark, and a breaking of the sixth commandment)? I don't know. Can one be sincerely misled on such an issue? I don't know. God knows.

    I am sure that you would agree that he who professes to "love God" while despising the brethren is a liar. Before I go on, let me say that this has been me. These words condemn me. Reading this portion of Scripture does not bring me delight, but rather compunction, as does any portion in which a "Thou shalt/shalt not" is clearly expounded. The Law is a mirror; it should drive us to repentance. Thanks be to God.

    In any case, the wrong kind of obsession with orthodoxy can be the worst kind of sin. You can sincerely convince yourself that you love Christ, when in fact, you do not. You can sincerely confess him as Lord while persisting in sin, and thus be lying, contrary to your best intentions. We have a whole Bible, not just an injunction to say some magic words.

    Condoning abortion is calling God a liar, Mark. And by condoning abortion, I mean calling it a neutral thing, a fine thing, A-OK. If there are cases in which abortion is truly the lesser of two evils, and advised as a medical procedure (say, in the case of ectopic pregnancy, when the zygote implants in the Fallopian tube rather than the uterine wall, with the result that there is no chance of survival for mother or child if gestation continues), that is one thing. But even then it is a case of conflicting absolutes. Even then abortion is not moral, and the action is not even right(!), even though one may be obligated to see it through as the lesser of two evils! It must be confessed as sin. God will forgive. But that is a statistically rare event. Condoning abortion is something else entirely, and no, you cannot claim the name of Christian and say that in some cases, murder is not wrong. "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God" (I Corinthians 6.9-11).

    Hard words for all of us. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete